The SixAppealWheelGroup      

Get 'Six Appeal' here !

Forums

Forum Home > Technical & Suppliers Information > Niphan Socket adaptation or trailing socket supplier

John D

Hello

Has anyone had any success in making their Niphan socket useable?

Option 1.

Find an affordable trailing socket and make up a cable.

Option 2.

Remove the innards and replace with a standard plug/socket (e.g 16/32amp?) so that externally looks the same and all the benefits of the gyro type fitting.

Option 3

Leave Niphan in situ and mount an alternative power inlet elsewhere (seems a shame :( )

I am not intending on using it continually, but the flexibility to warm the engine or charge the battery seems too good not to have.

Many thanks

John

February 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CivvyRIV
Administrator

HI John.

I can't remember whose machine it was but I have definitely seen a Niphan converted to a standard circular outdoor/caravan type socket so that it looked standard from outside.

My previous machine had one mounted under the rear bumper wired to an engine heater and battery charger, but that didn't have the Niphan to begin with, being a non-military spec.

Maybe the person who did that conversion is reading this?

Regards

J.C.

February 26, 2013 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CivvyRIV
Administrator

The TACR2 formerly at Wellesbourne Airfield (Now at Duxford?) had the conversion but they had just removed the Niphan box and mounted a standard socket on a plate fixed in place of the box, so it was exposed.

February 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Walt Davis
Site Owner

Have seen one with a caravan type plug spliced into the wiring inside the rear locker. So it looks original outside but inside has the little extra plug!

--

Walt.

Group Founder/Manager

www.TheSixAppealWheelGroup.org

album.sixappealwheel.org

February 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John D

Thanks for the advice, it does seem that the best option is to leave Niphan and discretely locate an alternative (once I have double checked the rating). Will feed back once success has been achieved

March 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.