The SixAppealWheelGroup      

Get 'Six Appeal' here !

Forums

Forum Home > Important Information & Issues > Tax and MoT of fire engine

Adam Levey

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me get some advice on the taxing and the MOT'ing of a fire engine? I have purchased a Dennis fire engine registration E789 LAJ, 6 ltr 2 axal. It's registered as a fire engine on the log book. DVLA have sent me a letter pointing out that it is taxed as the wrong vehicle quoting:

fire engine means vehicle which-

a) Constructed or adapted for the use of the purpose of fire fighting or salvage or both and

b) is used soley for the purposes in relation to which a fire and rescue authority under the fire and rescue services act 2004 has functions (whoever uses it for those purposes)

From the information that has beeen provided the vehicle does not meet the above definition and any "fire engine" which is kept for private purposes (such as an enthusiast's vehicle) must be licensed according to it's construction and use on the oublic road. In addition the vehicle will require an MoT

To be licensed in the historic tax class a vehicle must be manufactured before 1 January 1973. Your vehicle has a manufacture date of 31st December 1987 and does not fall into this category.

I have spoken to a few enthusiasts who are quite alarmed at DVLA as this might be the thin end of the wedge whereas if they can get me to pay the tax and MoT of a normal vehicle on my fire engine even though I have explined to them it is not being used for any other purpose and is still a fire engine, imagine the extra revenue that DVLA could generate from all the presently tax and MoT exempt vehicles suddenly needing to be taxed and MoT'ed. I was hoping that some of your members would come up with some constructive comments or advice or where to get advice.

Thanks

Adam

January 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Walt Davis
Site Owner

Adam, Welcome to the group. I am sure somone may be able to clarify this issue for you.

--

Walt.

Group Founder/Manager

www.TheSixAppealWheelGroup.org

album.sixappealwheel.org

January 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CivvyRIV
Administrator

Mmmm...Tricky.  Without knowing what  "the information that has been provided" was.  What did you tell them?

I think we all know that as long as a Fire Engine is over 3.5 Tons it is mot exempt and if taxed as a Fire Engine is also tax exempt (Or technically taxable but at a zero rate)

The problem here seems to be that the tax office (Was it a local office or Swansea?) is disputing not what the vehicle is but the use to which you are going to put it. i.e. not use it for the purpose for which it was constructed. Is that because you told them it was only going to be used for an 'enthusiasts' vehicle?

Would like more background on this because, either you have simply come up against a suspicious beaurocrat, or else this is indeed the thin end of a very long and expensive wedge.

Has anyone else experienced such problems?  Speaking for myself I can only say I found my local DVLA office (Worcester) most helpful when I reregistered and taxed both my current Commando and my previous TACR.

January 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nut behind the wheel

OK, I know I'm very late here, but I should warn you that the DVLA are hopeless.

In the past they've told me flat that there is no such thig as a range rover with six wheels, and that I cant have one because 'they didn't build them'.

I believe that to qualify to be MOT exempt and zero rated road fund licence, you need to tell them that it's a fully operational fire fighting vehicle, don't allow them to believe you just wanted the big red shiney thing because it's big, red and shiney, or that secretly you harbour unfulfillable yernings to be a fireman.

If it's ready to fight fires, that should be good enough, I believe.

A word of warning though, MOT exempt does not mean that it doesn't have to be "Road worthy" ie complying with all the usual garbage that goes into an MOT test, and more besides!

Sending them a photo of it might get them to play ball, but I wouldn't count on it.

June 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

firepoint

Hi all Im new here, so hello, I have recently aquired a TACR2 and will follow this discussion very carefully.

How should I go about registering the vehicle as a fire engine?

March 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nut behind the wheel

With enormous patience, see my comment above.

I'd ring them, be patient, if you get an answer you like, make a not of the name of the person you spoke to, then write to them quoting that person and make it clear that they are expected to honor what that person said, make it clear that it is a fete accompli and give the name of the person you spoke to.

If you do not get an answer you like, ring off (be polite), call back and speak to someone else.

Repeat as necessary.

This may work, eventually, but with the DVLA there are no guarantees.

I really do feel they need something to shake them out of their catatonic malaise, perhaps a judicial inquiry?

And finally, good luck!

March 28, 2015 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tammy

Adam Levey at January 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me get some advice on the taxing and the MOT'ing of a fire engine? I have purchased a Dennis fire engine registration E789 LAJ, 6 ltr 2 axal. It's registered as a fire engine on the log book. DVLA have sent me a letter pointing out that it is taxed as the wrong vehicle quoting:

fire engine means vehicle which-

a) Constructed or adapted for the use of the purpose of fire fighting or salvage or both and

b) is used soley for the purposes in relation to which a fire and rescue authority under the fire and rescue services act 2004 has functions (whoever uses it for those purposes)

From the information that has beeen provided the vehicle does not meet the above definition and any "fire engine" which is kept for private purposes (such as an enthusiast's vehicle) must be licensed according to it's construction and use on the oublic road. In addition the vehicle will require an MoT

To be licensed in the historic tax class a vehicle must be manufactured before 1 January 1973. Your vehicle has a manufacture date of 31st December 1987 and does not fall into this category.

I have spoken to a few enthusiasts who are quite alarmed at DVLA as this might be the thin end of the wedge whereas if they can get me to pay the tax and MoT of a normal vehicle on my fire engine even though I have explined to them it is not being used for any other purpose and is still a fire engine, imagine the extra revenue that DVLA could generate from all the presently tax and MoT exempt vehicles suddenly needing to be taxed and MoT'ed. I was hoping that some of your members would come up with some constructive comments or advice or where to get advice.

Thanks

Adam

Hi Adam , I was just wondering how you got on with the fire engine, I'm having the same problem as you, we bought a fire engine 1998 volvo for the purpose of showing at events, i rang dvla before buying they told me mot excempt tax and you need to tax it but theres no charge for tax, so did all that then on way home got pulled now theyve changed the tax code on log book to privert hgv and sent me a v112g mot except form but no idea what catagory to pick? i also have to pay tax now too ! every time ive called dvla im getting different answers every time. please help

Thanks

Tammy

July 6, 2017 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.